Friday, May 9, 2008

If April showers bring May flowers, what do May showers bring?

This week has been filled with lots of beautiful rain! Consequently, I've come up with a few observations as I go hither and yon. The grass is greener, the sky is cloudier, and people like me get wetter! I love the rain, especially when I can be inside and listen to the soothing sound of the rain outside my open window, and smell the freshness...uummmm!

My summer feels like it has officially begun! For one thing, MOST of the snow is melted, MOST of the time the sun is shining, and now that I've finished the most intense training for both of my jobs, MOST days I am not really working, just working hard at having fun! :o)

I think that my favorite thing so far is helping my Reading Center tutorees! I have 5 writing students, which means I go over basic grammer with them (which is good - I can tell you what sounds right, but I can't tell you why it's right), and help them edit their own papers. I have 3 international students, who are a hoot...we laugh a lot. In the reading center we host the ETC - English Transitional Center, for international students. We try to make their transition from their own culture and language as easy as possible by building relationships with them, and helping them with various things, their conversation, vocabulary, pronunciation, textbook comprehension, etc. I think I learn more than my students do! (So...all you Canadians who may want to come live here...come see me and I'll culture you in all things American!) Hehehe! :o) I also have a student who is in a reading class, and we study skills that help make reading easier, like managing time wisely, note-taking, flashcards, etc.

At the testing center, my favorite thing to do so far is be a test reader. Some people are not able to read their own tests, or they may be able to read it, but not able to write the answers down themselves. So far I've read 2 tests, and I love doing it! It makes me feel so humble to see those wonderful students beat the odds and succeed with dignity at what I grumble about and so take for granted! I've got a long way to go...I'm just glad for so many wonderful people, who have light in their eyes and with their faith, show me the way!

Well, I wish I could say that there would be pictures coming, but unfortunately I don't have the right kind of camera, so until the money comes in or a different method of picture-posting is invented, you'll just have to imagine what my life is like!

Later! :o)

2 comments:

It's the Hardy's said...

We wish that we could see pictures too. Maybe you could ask Dad for one for your birthday. That isn't too far off.........
Glad to hear that you are doing good. We will probably see you sooner than we talk to you again.
Have a great day and keep the updates coming!
Love Kim

It's the Hardy's said...

I figured out what May showers bring! We have had so much rain over the past few weeks that I realized that it brings.......... MUD!!!! And lots of it. If you find anything better, let me know.
Kim