Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Work's IN!

Wow! If there is one word to describe my summer semester so far, it's... whirlwind!

I'm loving a new semester in the BYU-I 3rd ward! I miss all the people I won't be seeing anymore, but it's always nice to see new faces and get to know new people. I also got one more roommate, (Sarah) so there are now four of us (Gretchen, Me, Marlayna) so far in the apartment this semester...it's nice.The Lord is watching out for me! :o)

We had our first devotional of the semester - President and Sister Clark always speak, and it was wonderful and inspiring! They spoke about how to find true JOY and happiness - there are so many things that say "HERE you will find joy," or "I'll make you happy," but in the end, the ONLY way to find true joy and happiness that is lasting and that will sustain us through life now, is through the gifts, principles and teachings of Jesus Christ our Savior! Every good thing comes through Christ, whether you recognize Him or not! :o) I know that it's true, and it is why I do what I do, why I am the way I am, and why I won't ever give up!

I started two new jobs yesterday, completing all my paperwork (hopefully) today and on to intense training tomorrow! Let's just say I'm up for adventures!
My first job is tutoring in the Reading Center (in the library.) We mainly help international students, those with disabilities, and slow readers, to comprehend more and improve their skills. There are amazing resources and I love that tutoring is free for students! (Where else in the world does that happen?) I'm excited to learn and to help! Right now it's looking like it'll be more learning than helping...we take a general reading test called the Woodcock, and I felt like I needed to read a dictionary after I took it, because there were so many words I didn't concretely know the meaning of. That's Life! :o)

I'm also working as a proctor in the Testing Center, and my adventures there so far consist of a lot of smiling, distributing tests, scanning materials in and out, filing, watching and reporting. I enjoy the environment of upholding standards worth upholding, such as student honor!

These first two weeks as I'm training I will have a lot of extra material to go over and learn, tests to take and expectations to fulfill. I'm looking forward to being stretched and to learning a lot!
Love ya all! :o)

No comments: